Wednesday, November 15, 2017

Speaking of Africa!

Speaking of Africa a fellow country in Africa Uganda has had a virus emerge- Marburg. The virus is said to be both deadly and contagious. The virus is being compared to the previous rage Ebola. The virus emerged on October 19th, 2017. A known symptom of the virus is a headaches, cramping, hemorrhagic fever (aches, fevers, internal bleeding), vomiting, diarrhea. Like most virus it is transmitted through bats, rodents and the like. As of the CNN article dated November 2nd, 2017 there were three confirmed deaths from the virus. It is believed that "several hundred people" have been exposed and the Uganda Virus Research is working to contain the virus. While there are no treatments for the disease here is to hoping for containment and not another incident like Ebola.


http://www.cnn.com/2017/10/31/health/marburg-virus-uganda/index.html


Image result for marburg virus

4 comments:

  1. I haven't heard anything about this! It's odd how Ebola was this huge thing where we were sure to have just shake America....and then it vanished. I have a feeling this will be the same sort of thing but I can't help but to feel like this will some how tie in with why we are in there for Niger where that soldier died. I feel like these are justifications for finding ourselves militarily involved in a country. Really cool article though. Now I know!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know the two countries aren't really close but I still think America will use this as a long stretch.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for this info! I had no idea that this was going on because I haven't seen anything on the news about it. This seems to be a pretty big issue which is why I think it is weird that it isn't getting more media attention. I wonder if this is an example of bias in news media or if it is simply not as serious as it seems to be.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Outbreaks like this are always alarming to me. I do appreciate the information though. I remember when Ebola was a huge thing in the news, and then it just disappeared. I hope this doesn't follow suit as well. When you suddenly see outbreaks pop up and then disappear, you tend to have this sense of skepticism when the next one is discovered.

    ReplyDelete