Friday, September 8, 2017

What is DACA?

On Tuesday morning, President Donald Trump announced the "end" of DACA (Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals) founded by former President Barack Obama in June of 2012. I will be honest, I had never heard of DACA or even knew anything about it until this week. What I have learned so far is this:

  • DACA is a program that protects undocumented people from age fifteen to thirty two 
  • I put "end" in quotations because the decision has actually now been handed over to Congress
  • DACA applicants are not solely based out of Latin America as media portrays (although 75% are originally from Mexico due to proximity)
  • Almost 75 % of recipients have lived in the United States for ten years or more
As stated previously, I do not know all of the facts of the situation but my opinion is this: it is tricky. There are two things that I feel confident in saying and that is that 1) you cannot appease everyone with either outcome and 2) I do not believe Congress will answer this proposal in six short months. Personally, I am split in my feelings. I feel sympathetic for individuals who have grown up here and do not even associate the place they were born in with the word "home". I have both friends and coworkers who are here because of actions such as DACA. Alternatively, unemployment is still an issue in America (typically revolving around four percent) and most of these recipients are employed in the United States. I do not consider DACA recipients to be outsiders of the United States but I also feel that America needs to focus much much more heavily on themselves before attempting to help other countries. 


What are your opinions of the program and do you think Congress will have an answer?

Resources:


4 comments:

  1. Hi Allie,
    Many of the people that I know that are a part of the program were brought over as children and have only ever know live as Americans so i wander how we can consider them at fault for a crime they did not commit, and they people that I have worked with have worked with me in restaurants and we have such a hard time finding people that will work, we are constantly hiring. People are always not showing up and leaving for a job that will pay a little bit more. That is the nature of the food service industry. So, there is still a big need for more workers especially in Atlanta. There are way more jobs than there are people to fill them. This is one reason it is so hard to criminalize people that have done nothing wrong and are working so hard to want to stay here. They have no criminal records, are employed, and are contributing to our society and economy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that you hit the nail on the head with this post, it is impossible to please everybody especially in the world of politics. The logistics of implementing this decision are huge, and to implement it will cost a great deal of money. So the question then becomes is it worth it to the American People? If the answer to that question is yes then we move forward the presidents decision and if the answer is no then we look for an alternative.

    ReplyDelete
  3. DACA is a program that has given so many people the chance to make a life for themselves in the United States. The people that fall under this program are people that were raised in America and label themselves American. For most, the United States is all they have ever known. It is unfortunate that the program has been rescinded. I agree, 6 months is too short of a time to decide what the future of DACA is going to be. You are also right that this is an issue that cannot please everyone. However, at the end of the day we just have to ask ourselves if it is fair to punish someone for something that they had no say or choice in.

    ReplyDelete
  4. any person that has any blog about this topic, I always comment on it. Not a lot of people understand what this program helps people do. I myself am not a dreamer, but a lot of my friends and family are. I was born and raised in United States but unfortunately my parents were not so my family carries a lot of the dreams on to me because they were not able to do what they wanted to. I understand where people say negative things about it, but it's not the children's fault their parents brought them over so young. It is such a strong topic but yet again I such powerful topic because it helps millions of people. it is not fair for those who have no fault and what their parents did, their parents just wanted to provide a better future for themselves and for their children. People don't understand the situations south of our border. be grateful of what we have because lots of people who don't have what we have would die to have it.

    ReplyDelete